Tekes is organising a #TekesHack, in which design contest entrants will design effective digital solutions to assist experts from various sectors in their search for partners. The winner or winners of the design contest will be offered an agreement with Tekes and the chance to realise their proposed service.
For Tekes, the aim is to enter a multi-year agreement worth EUR 100,000 – 200,000 with the selected supplier.
Pekka Sivonen, Director in charge of digitalisation strategies and programmes, highlights the broader benefits of the design contest:
"We invite talented teams to come up with smart solutions for better networking between companies and researchers. Tekes has access to a huge amount of open information on the projects it is funding. Combined with other open data from companies and research organisations, this would provide machine learning, service design and data mining gurus with the keys to designing simple and intuitive ways of promoting networking between the best players."
The aim of the design contest is to make use of smart solutions, based on open datasets, which help companies and the research community to find each other. The result will be a tool that
- provides easy access to information on the best potential partners for projects and business ventures,
- shows which organisations and/or individuals are the foremost experts in various fields,
- identifies the most attractive investment targets, and
- respects the confidentiality of business data.
The work done for the competition will involve a TekesHack
A maximum of 12 teams, which will participate in a hackathon in Tekes' facilities in September, will be selected from among the applicants for the design contest.
At the end of the hackathon, the participants will submit work which describes the concept to be realised and includes a short video of the prototype. Tekes will award cash prizes for the best work resulting from the Hackathon. The winning team will receive EUR 10,000 and the runner up a prize of up to EUR 5,000.
The panel will evaluate the final entry and select the winners for follow-up discussions with Tekes. Selection of the winning teams will be based on the effectiveness and user-value of the proposed solution, and the team's ability to implement the idea.
Closing date for applications is 22 August
- Application period begins on 15 July 2016
- The closing date for applications will be 22 August 2016.
- The teams participating in the design contest will be selected on 1 September 2016.
- The hackathon will be held from 22 to 23 September 2016 in Helsinki. A briefing event will be held on 21 September 2016
- The final work for the competition must be submitted by 2 pm on 23 September 2016.
Tekes will begin service acquisition with the winner or winners of the design contest.
To participate and for further information on the contest see www.tekes.fi/tekeshack
Discuss and follow the social media tag #TekesHack.