Tempo – accelerating the early-stage growth of startups
Who can apply?
The Tempo funding service is intended for startups that have been operating for under 5 years and are registered in Finland. Tekes can offer funding for promising startup companies, which aim to enter the export markets and whose product or service idea has a competitive edge in the chosen market area.
What do we fund?
With this funding, the company can test the functionality of the business concept, obtain feedback from potential customers, explore demand in a new international market and rapidly implement the first demos or prototypes.
- The company understands what need the product or service idea meets.
- The company has identified a potential customer base and earnings model and intends to grow its business internationally.
- The company has estimated the size and business potential of the target market.
- The company has sufficient resources and funding for its early stage development.
- Key employees are committed to the company and are willing to complement the team's expertise. The company is ready to develop the membership of its Board of Directors and its adviser network.
- In some cases, Tempo funding can be granted for a unique and promising idea or invention even if not all of the funding conditions are met. In such a case, Tekes may provide a smaller amount of funding in the beginning and asses the continuation of the funding as the project progresses.
How to apply?
The application for funding is made by using the Tekes online services. Before submitting your application, please contact us by presenting your idea via the Team Finland service form. This will help you find a suitable funding service for your situation and speed up the application process.
What can the funding be used for?
With Tempo funding, a startup can rapidly begin testing demand for a new product or service concept before entering the export markets. For example, the company can develop the first prototype or demo of a product and test it alongside potential clients, commission market research, explore customer needs and perform test marketing in a new market.
During the application stage, the company and Tekes will agree on 2-5 clear and measurable goals which the company will aim to meet using the Tempo funding. The selected goals will be based on the company's potential, in such a manner that they promote its growth and internationalisation. The goals may be as follows:
- Realisation of customer pilots
- Growing the company's turnover
- Increasing the number of customers
- Development of internationalisation processes
- Strengthening the partner network
- Creating product features
- Making progress with funding arrangements
- Strengthening the team, advisers and/or Board of Directors
Goal achievement will be an important factor when considering funding for the possible next stage of the project.
Amount of Tekes funding
The maximum amount of Tekes Tempo funding is €50,000. This funding covers 75% of the overall budget for the project. The company must have sufficient assets of its own for the project's completion.
Payment of funding
Tekes will pay part of the funding to the company in advance, after the funding decision has been made. The remainder of the Tekes funding will be paid on the basis of the costs reported by the company following the completion of the project.
- An example of a project in which Tekes grants the maximum funding of €50,000: The project has a total budget of €66,700. After the funding decision, Tekes pays the company an advance of €30,000. The company will therefore need €36,700 in order to see the project through to completion.
De minimis grant
Tempo funding constitutes a de minimis grant, which the company does not need to repay.
De minimis aid is state aid for small development projects defined by the European Commission. A company can receive a maximum of €200,000 in de minimis aid over three fiscal years. Tekes may award companies up to €100,000 in de minimis grants during the same time.
At the application stage, the company must assess how much de minimis aid it has received in previous years. Such aid is granted by a range of public organisations in addition to Tekes, such as Finnvera and the ELY Centres.
Tekes will approve costs starting from the date when the application was sent to Tekes at the earliest. Eligible costs include:
1 Salary and purchased professional services in accordance with the project plan
- A maximum of EUR 19/h (EUR 3,000/month) can be entered in the project accounts for the owners' salaries, if their holding is at least 10%.
2 Indirect personnel costs
- Indirect personnel costs may not exceed 50% of the salary paid.
3 Purchased services
- Purchased services must be put out to tender in accordance with the Public Procurement Act, if the sum of a single purchase or series of linked purchases is EUR 30,000 or more.
4 In addition, other costs will be accepted up to 20 percent of the sum of salary paid and purchased services. No other costs need to be itemised.
The project cannot cover
- expenses incurred during the routine activities of the company
- costs incurred in supporting exports or from export marketing
- direct investments in the construction of a distribution channel
Get in touch
Find the right funding service
Introduce your business plan via a secure online form. We will contact you within a week.
Team Finland Customer Service
Tel. +358 2950 20510
weekdays 9 am to 4 pm
Advice about Tekes and Team Finland services for companies seeking to grow in the export markets.
If you have received funding from Tekes in the past, you can also get in direct touch with your contact person at Tekes.