Strategic research openings
Objectives of funding
This project type looks for bold visionaries and a multidisciplinary approach. The starting point is a vision of a new, challenging solution which, when implemented, would mean significant and extensive new opportunities for businesses and industries and increase the pull factor of Finnish competence.
The vision must include an idea of the type of new business, the new knowledge and competence that the research opening will generate.
- A vision of how the results can be applied in Finland
- A vision of possible means for reaching a level of competence that could be utilised
New calls is no longer arranged.
Projects that point to a new direction
- Research openings look at issues and competence from a new perspective.
- Key researchers have a vision of a future competence need, the significance of the competence to be developed for the regeneration of business life, and an ability to enhance the impact of the competence.
No business participation is required in this project type. However, companies may lend their expertise to the work of the project's steering group. It should be noted that a participating company does not have a right of first refusal to the project results.
Application schedules and guidelines
Strategic research openings funded by Tekes
Tekes has funded eleven strategic research opening. .
- The Naked Approach – Nordic perspective to gadget-free hyperconnected environments
(VTT, Aalto University, Tampere University of Technology, University of Oulu, University of Lapland, Demos Helsinki)
- GeoTrust (Finnish Geodetic Institute, University of Helsinki)
- ADELE: Autoimmune Defense and Living Environment (University of Helsinki, University of Tampere, Tampere University of Technology)
- Neo-Carbon Energy (VTT, Lappeenranta University of Technology, University of Turku) Project website
- Digital Health Revolution (University of Oulu, University of Helsinki, University of Lapland, Aalto University, Tampere University of Technology, VTT, National Consumer Research Centre) Project website
- Living Factories (VTT, University of Turku)
- 3I - Innovative Induction Initiative (University of Helsinki, Aalto University), Project website
- The New Global (Aalto University), Project website
- World of Cellulose (VTT, Aalto University, Tampere University of Technology)
- Revolution of Knowledge Work (University of Helsinki), Project website
- Human Spare Parts (Tampere University of Technology, Tampere University) Project website