Team Finland Trade Fair grant for joint international trade fair projects by SMEs
Small and medium-sized enterprises, with a desire to grow and internationalise can form groups of at least four SMEs, which will participate in a major trade fair in their sector that is held abroad.
In general, trade fair grants are only awarded for b-to-b events. When evaluating projects, account is also taken of the innovativeness and novelty value of the products and services being exhibited by the company.
Tekes primarily grants funding for participation in trade fairs of high global importance, including events targeted at key growth markets. When evaluating projects, Tekes pays special attention to the impacts that the funding awarded for trade fair events will have on the growth of the company's international business.
Team Finland Trade Fair grants are intended for joint international trade fair projects by SMEs, which
- improve the capacity to internationalise of companies entering the export markets,
- promote the launch of a new export business or the opening up of a new market area,
- increase exports to old market areas,
- diversify the structure of exports,
- promote the market entry of enterprises and new innovations,
- or otherwise foster the internationalisation and international competitiveness of companies.
What can the funding be used for?
Trade fair grants are particularly aimed at Team Finland's focus areas, which are:
- the environmental and clean technology sectors
- the biotechnology sectors
- the ICT industry and digitalisation
- the service sectors
- the health and well-being technology sectors
- the creative industries
- education exports
- other new, innovative projects in high-tech industries
In general, trade fair grants are awarded for b-to-b events only. When evaluating projects, account is also taken of the innovativeness and novelty value of the products and services being exhibited by the company.
Amount of funding
An SME can receive a Team Finland Trade Fair grant covering up to 50% of the eligible costs of the project. A grant of up to EUR 30,000 per trade fair can be approved for individual companies. Tekes can award the Team Finland Trade Fair grant a maximum of four times to each single company in 2016–2018.
Terms and conditions of the funding
- The company is an SME registered in Finland.
- The company is seeking to grow and internationalise.
- The company has a credible basis for continuing to run a profitable export business.
- The company has no significant outstanding tax liabilities and/or payment default entries and is on the prepayment register.
- The company has sufficient funding to cover the project and other operating costs. When planning self-financing, the company should note that Tekes grants are paid in arrears on the basis of actual and paid costs, unless otherwise indicated in the decision.
- Before applying for a Team Finland Trade Fair grant, the company should review the total amount of funding it has received that is subject to the de minimis rule.
- One-person businesses are ineligible for trade fair grants, as are companies based in Åland.
Applications for Team Finland Trade Fair grants must be made in a coordinated manner and parallel applications for the same project must have a common name (usually the name of the trade fair event). Apply for trade fair grants via Tekes' online services.
No application period is set, which means that applications can be submitted at any time, but due to the limited funds allocated for this purpose, Tekes will process applications periodically and evaluate funding applications four times per year in order to ensure that customers are treated equally.
- Instructions for filling in applications (In Finnish, pptx)
Other funding opportunities
Individual firms can apply for development grants covering trade fair project costs from their own ELY Centres. Policies on this vary somewhat by region.
A simple cost estimate is used in the case of Team Finland Trade Fair funding. In such a cost estimate, costs eligible for funding as direct costs include substantial audit costs associated with services purchased in connection with the fair stand and project:
- registration costs
- floor area rent costs
- design and decoration costs
- technical orders
- rented structures
- erection of the stand, i.e. construction costs
- project audit costs
The company is eligible for a grant covering a maximum of 50 percent of the costs of the above-mentioned purchased services.
The beneficiary must arrange its accounting so as to facilitate the itemisation of costs incurred from the project for outsourced services, and the verification of their connection with accounting and the cost statement.
Other costs incurred by the company from participation in a trade fair can be approved based on a flat rate, which is up to 20 per cent of the sum of the above costs. Other costs can include travel, freight and interpretation costs, possible costs related to a consultant/administrator and marketing costs associated with the trade fair. These other costs need not be itemised in the accounts.
Exceptionally, with respect to the creative industries (e.g. the music industry, the audio-visual sector) projects which do not involve significant costs associated with the fair stand, but mainly participation and travel costs, may be eligible for funding.
In general, the minimum government grant approved for joint projects is EUR 5,000. (Calculated by aggregating all grants awarded for parallel applications.)
As a rule, only costs incurred by a participating company after a project application has been made can be approved. The exception is reservation and registration costs of trade fairs, which may be accepted even if they were incurred before the project application was submitted.
A cost related to a trade fair project will be viewed as incurred when the applicant company receives the service it purchased i.e. the service is performed. For example, costs associated with hiring floor space are viewed as incurred when the company gains the use of the floor area i.e. in practice on the first day of building the stand. Since the deliverable must occur during the project, the project period must be marked as the time e.g. from the application to the end of the trade fair.
Get in touch
Find the right funding service
Introduce your business plan via a secure online form. We will contact you within a week.
Team Finland Customer Service
Tel. +358 2950 20510
weekdays 9 am to 4 pm
Advice about Tekes and Team Finland services for companies seeking to grow in the export markets.
If you have received funding from Tekes in the past, you can also get in direct touch with your contact person at Tekes.